Thursday, April 26, 2007

Flame Trees

Yesterday, I saw my first blooming flame tree of the year. I was in a certain Northern Emirate, so I'm not sure if they are blooming in Dubai.

I keep meaning to look for the Flame Trees of Thika, which I saw in many book stores just before I came to the UAE, but I haven't seen it since.

The flame trees deserve the name, since their inflorescence is an incredible flaming red, and I enjoy the sight, but not what it represents: that summer is rapidly approaching.

But at least we can brace ourselves in beauty.

2 Comments:

Blogger nzm said...

Yes - I noticed them today in the Jumeirah Beach Park and they're beautiful.

Another name for them is Flamboyant Tree which is how we called them in Fiji. They always remind me of my grandmother who grew them on her property, and of times in my childhood which were spent collecting the seed pods for the brilliant hard red seeds which could be strung on nylon to be worn as necklaces and bracelets.

11:39 am  
Blogger vagabondblogger said...

I looked up Flame Tree after having read your post and (on Wiki) found several different varieties, all of which have been in bloom here in Cairo. Beautiful and brilliant. They really stand out, and here in Maadi we have just about every tree on the face of the earth - another story.

9:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home