Sunday, April 08, 2007

Walking the Streets of the Golden Sands

We were visiting my uncle's house about a century ago when I came across the word 'streetwalker' in one of my uncle's books. I assumed it was a dumbed-down word for 'pedestrian,' but more specific, referring to someone striding about the urban or sub-urban environment, as opposed to someone trekking cross country. At the time, no one would explain the word to me.

'Streetwalker' is a strange word. I was the only one actually doing any walking through the Golden Sands a couple of days ago, but I saw several young women standing there, some of whom were desperate enough to smile at me. Sadly, I only had time to smile back as I was forced to proceed at as brisk a pace as I can now manage, since I had to complete some essential business before a deadline.

I find it strange that the young ladies in the Golden Sands are generally seen during daylight hours, unlike the West (cf. 'Pretty Woman') where they usually do not appear before evening. I've been through the Golden Sands area after dark (when I was not rushed by business obligations) but didn't see any pretty young ladies palely loitering.


The story I read at my uncle's (but did not understand):

A man had just won the Olympic gold medal for swimming, and was on the obligatory swimming tour.

As he was demonstrating his technique at a Mediterranean beach, a young lady easily passed him. He swam as fast as he could, but could not catch her. Back on the beach, he saw her in the crowd, and asked, 'Why don't you try out for the Olympics? You could easily win a gold medal.'

'I'm not eligible,' she replied. 'I used to work as a streetwalker in Venice.'

2 Comments:

Blogger secretdubai said...

That is quite a funny joke! Probably not one for a small child.

And I agree about the streetwalkers. I never saw anything like that in western countries I have lived in, ever. Rarely if ever at night, and certainly never during the day.

1:58 am  
Blogger CG said...

Now am I glad that I read that. I like to walk the streets, and had I not read your blog then I may have described myself as a streetwalker one day.

The worst bit about the Golden sands area (in a womans opinion) is the curb crawlers who demand your services, even when heavily pregnant or with baby in a stroller...they just don't get it.

9:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home