Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Mosquitoes

Before coming to a certain Northern Emirate (where victims of fraud will now be prosecuted for stupidity, but that's another story), I never saw any mosquitoes in the UAE. The Northern Emirate where I'm working abounds in them.

At the room where I stay at night, I burn incense and spray pesticides.

At work, the place is too large for me to spray everywhere, and management says, 'We will spray bukara, inshallah (English translation: "Those mosquitoes are safe.")

The worst place I've seen has been the men's lavatory, since there is ample water there. The organization where I work took over an abandoned building that once held several hundred workers, but we only have about thirty, so the lavatories have far more facilities than we can use, there is always plenty of stagnant water, and the mosquitoes love it.

So, when nature calls, one is not only faced with mosquito bites on sensitive parts of one's anatomy, one must try not to think about where those mosquitoes have just been.

2 Comments:

Blogger vagabondblogger said...

Hahaha. Sorry, I once got bitten by a mosquito in a very private area and I have no advice as to what to do about the swelling. I can only say, it's uncomfortable and some anti-itch cream might provide relief. Maybe something bitter / clorox / hot sauce in the stagnat water might help? Or, just fucking spray the whole place down!

8:23 pm  
Blogger nzm said...

It's not only the toilets in the northern emirates - the toilets on the airconditioned buildings in the Dubai Internet City are also mosquito infested.

Due to a really bad dose of Dengue Fever as a child, I hate mosquitos more than I do cockroaches!

11:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home