Saturday, May 26, 2007

Bindi Masala (2)

A number of readers (3 to be exact) have tried to tell me that bindi is okra. Or, if one is British, ladyfingers.

In my youth, I tried to feed old, dried okra to cows (I suppose goats might eat it, but I'm from cattle country where we don't allow any ovines.) The cows wouldn't touch it until we soaked it in water, after which it turned into green, slimy snot. Such are ladyfingers (or okra).

Bindi masala, on the other hand, is coloured the colour of, well, masala. It does have some black chunks of bindi in it, but no one had better try to tell me that those black chunks are okra. I refuse to belive it.

I have also eaten calimari. Calimari is a sort of round, white noodle. However, while I was trying to enjoy my calimari, a supplier came to the restaurant struggling with a squid. I'm not sure why he was bringing a squid into the restaurant, since no one in his right mind would ever eat such a thing.

Finally, I had a cousin who used to frequent a Mexican restaurant where he would always order lengua Lea. This was little cubes of meat in a spicy tomato sauce. One day, he saw someone bringing a large tongue into the restaurant and foolishly asked, 'Why?' They told him the Spanish name for tongue, and what he was eating. I don't know if he's ever been back to that restaurant.

Which is why I never ask, 'Why?' about food. And why I refuse to belive people who try to tell me that bindi masala is okra or ladyfingers, or that calimari has anything to do with squid. I suppose, if I were convinced that calimari is squid, I'd stop eating it and switch to Karalan kalava.

3 Comments:

Blogger secretdubai said...

What do you think calamari is?

9:26 pm  
Blogger Harsha said...

haha.. ok.. the next time you order a bindi masala.. its Bhindi actually, ask them what its made of, ask to show the vegetable.

Also, yes it is slimy.. when you cut it itself. I dont like bhindi myself.

Better yet, quicker and easier too - google bhindi masala/bhindi/bindi masala for images. or even recepies

but then again, would it be at the risk of you never wanting to eat one of your fav dishes again?

1:55 am  
Blogger nzm said...

:-)

Love the subtle style of humour!

2:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home