Friday, March 16, 2007

Undersleeping

In movies and stories from before the second half of the 20th century, when only a paltry few plutocrats rode in private cars, most characters had to use public transport. One common story was of characters oversleeping, missing their exit, and having no easy way to get back to their destination, therby starting their tales.

I was similarly asleep, and woke up to see what looked like my destination. I take the inter-Emirates bus and try to depart at the penultimate destination, a Dubai bus stop where I can get a bus or a taxi to complete my journey. The final destination is a few hundred meters distant, at the inter-Emirates bus shed, a long walk with baggage back to where the Dubai busses and taxis ply their routes.

Only, while it is not true that all bus stands look identical, at least two of them do, and I got off about 20 km too early. The driver seemed puzzled that I was getting off so soon, but I didn't want to be carried all the way to the shed, so I got off.

Just after the bus departed, I realized where I was.

But I'm afraid no romantic or Gothic tale started, just a delayed trip back to Dubai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home