Friday, February 23, 2007

English Language Newspapers in the North

I like to get my own copy of the Gulf News everyday. Since taking a job in a Northern Emirate, this has been a problem. My employer has a copy, but I can't work the Sudoku on that copy.

The grocery on the ground floor of my building had a copy one day. The next day I asked, 'Gulf News?' and they said, 'Finished.'

The following day I came down at 7 a.m. and found no papers. 'Gulf News?' I asked. 'Finished,' was the reply.

The next day, I watched as the newspapers were unloaded. Only Arabic. 'Gulf News?' I asked. 'Finished,' was the reply.

So 'Finished,' doesn't mean they had some but sold them all, it means the delivery person ran out before he got to my grocery. Or didn't get any at all.

For some reason, Gulf News doesn't send many copies up to the Northern Emirate. The few copies arrive late (after I'm at work) and are all sold out early (before I get off work).

In Dubai, shortly after I arrived, newspapers knocked on my door offering subscriptions. Not in the Northern Emirate.

But, if I liked, throughout the Northern Emirate it is alwasy easy to get the Arab News, so beloved of The Religious Policeman.

Only I don't like their Sudoku or comics as well as I like those in the Gulf News.

2 Comments:

Blogger Harsha said...

you must be missing the saturday kidzone thing

2:13 pm  
Blogger Dubai@Random said...

Harsha: No, actually. Saturday's I'm in Dubai, where I can get a newspaper. (The fact that I'm in the Northern Emirate only 4 days a week is another reason I don't subscribe.)

And you're right, I like KidZone.

6:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home