Sunday, February 11, 2007

Ambulances in Sharjah

First, the Dubai taxi driver took me 10 km out of my way. I complained, but he just said 'No Englishi.' So, when he drove past the bus station, I got out and took the bus to Sharjah.

When I got to Sharjah, I found myself stuck in traffic. I heard the siren of an ambulance, and my driver started honking until the car in front pulled onto the pavement, allowing us enough room to pull off the road and onto the pavement. With a space cleared, the ambulance pulled up next to us. And stopped.

In the West, in the interests of expeditiously getting the patient to the hospital, ambulances normally ignore traffic laws. Not in Sharjah. The ambulance stopped for all red lights, and did not exceed the posted speed limit. We drove side by side for several kilometers, during which time the ambulance had its lights flashing and its siren blaring. Finally, the ambulance turned one direction to go to the hospital, while I continued to my original destination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home