Friday, August 04, 2006

Lifeguards

When I moved into my current apartment, I found a small pool in the courtyard. Quite a few apartment and villa complexes in Dubai have swimming pools. My apartment was not too expensive when I moved in, though it was about twice as expensive as Fernando's.

Meanwhile, about a year ago, in a development of villas, a small child, allowed to play outside by himself, tragically managed to get into a swimming pool and drown.

Something had to be done. For awhile, all the swimming pools at developments by that developer were closed.

And now, a year or so later, all swimming pools are apparently required to have a lifeguard. At least a lifeguard has just appeared to supervise the pool at my apartment. He has other jobs besides lifeguard, and his seat has him sitting with his back to the pool, but at least he won't allow an unattended child into the pool area.

Which is all that is really needed.