Thursday, July 27, 2006

Nasty Spam

I have two (maybe three) spam filters, but I don't really trust them. I am on several mailing lists to which I am rather attached, but the filters say, 'Oh, this e-mail was sent to lots of people: it must be spam.' So I set the filters not to delete anything before I've reviewed it.

I saw, caught by one filter, an e-mail that said, 'An e-postcard from a friend.' I get quite a few e-postcards from friends, and some of these friends send them out to everyone on their e-mail list, so I thought the spam filter was mistaken, as it so often is. Some of these e-postcards are quite amusing, and, even if it's a boring holiday greeting card, I like to respond with a note of thanks.

In short, I opened the e-mail, and my anti-virus went wild. The e-postcard was a virus. And there are some viruses that do not require that the recipient do anything really stupid, like clicking 'This program might be a virus, do you really want to run it?'

As soon as I saw what it was, I clicked 'Stop Download,' and (I'm 99% sure) I managed to stop it: a virus scan showed no infection. Some viruses are smart enough to disable anti-virus software, and some are so new that anti-virus software that hasn't recently been updated can miss them, but (I hope) my anti-virus was up to date, plus I clicked 'Stop Download' before a working form of the virus could be downloaded (I use dialup, so even the simplest programs take a long time to download).

To summarize, it is now necessary to be very careful with e-postcards. Needless to say, if the e-postcard demands that the recipient run a program, it is suicidal to run the program, but this one seemed ready to run itself.

So, again, please be careful.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should switch from windows to Mac. I'm not a Mac sales person, but I own one, and I love it. NO VIRUSES!

check this out i love it!: http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

8:47 pm  
Blogger Legal Translation Company in Dubai said...

Dubai, Law No. (18) of 2021
Dubai, Law No. (16) of 2021
Dubai, Law No. (13) of 2021
Dubai, Law No. (13) of 2021
Dubai, Law No. (12) of 2021

4:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home