Sunday, July 30, 2006

Dubai Main Post Office

When I first arrived in the UAE, I was told to have all mail sent to my employer. Like most Westerners, I had been accustomed to having mail delivered to my home, but it was convenient (if somewhat lacking in privacy) to have all mail delivered to my place of work. I was fortunate to have a job where I was only expected to work five days a week, and for those five days, I would find my mail as I passed the mailroom on my way to my desk.

That job lasted a year; then I came to Dubai. I asked a friend from my former employer to pick up my mail and hold it until I could come by and pick it up, so my mail continued to go to my former employer, and I tried to visit my friend every weekend or two.

Shortly after I arrived in Dubai, I was talking to my new supervisor, and he told me he had to go to Sharjah to pick up his mail. I asked him, ‘Why do you get your mail in Sharjah?’

He answered, ‘When I first came to the UAE, I stayed with friends in Sharjah and got my P.O. Box there, and I never bothered to change it.’

‘You drive to Sharjah every day?’

‘No. Here you only need to check your mail once a month or so.’

So I got my own P.O. Box at the main post office in Karama, sent a change of address to all the people I wanted to hear from, and now I go by once a month or so to check my mail.

Today, I went by. Construction is everywhere. What used to be the main entrance is now blocked, so I had to go to the new front, which used to be the back.

P.O. boxes must be renewed before 31 Jan, and I renewed mine on 30 Jan. Today, I found in my box the notice that they had received my renewal, in case I was worried. Since they hadn’t changed the lock, and have continued to deliver my mail, I thought they didn’t bother to inform the owner that his renewal had been accepted, but, in fact, they do inform him. In July. For a January renewal.

Still, I can go pick up my mail.

3 Comments:

Blogger samuraisam said...

Ahhh... Dubai post; How I love thee.

Never, EVER get your hopes up getting a package on time.

For instance, once when I was young (perhaps 10?), my aunt sent a package containing this science kit with like baloons etc; two or three years later, I went to the post office to get some package with melted baloons etc inside.

arrrr.

They have definately improved over the years however; but not to the point i'd trust them with anything of value (Lies; I actually got a limited edition vinyl record sent to my dubai PO box number which is now worth a fair bit of moolah, still, I had nowhere else to send it /: )

11:04 pm  
Blogger nzm said...

I've been quite surprised by the delivery rate on some items that I have been expecting - they all come from NZ and are delivered within a week.

I just like the way any envelopes which include plastic cards - credit, airpoints memberships, loyalty cards - have all been opened, but nothing is missing! I wait for the day when mysterious charges start to appear on my credit card!

11:34 pm  
Blogger Legal Translation Company in Dubai said...

Dubai, Decree No. (18) of 2021
Dubai, Decree No. (17) of 2021
Dubai, Decree No. (16) of 2021
Dubai, Decree No. (15) of 2021
Dubai, Decree No. (22) of 2021
Dubai, Decree No. (21) of 2021

4:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home