Saturday, August 04, 2007

Summer Reading

Someone gave me the novel, Beyond Black. The novel is in very colloquial British, the argot of the current youth of that island nation, and I find it as accessible as Madame Bovary, in the original. Or Homer, for that matter, and not the new movie.

For example, in the novel, someone is 'scratching his barnet.'

I tried looking up 'barnet' on google.com, and was told I must be looking for Barney, and was given several sites for a purple dinosaur, a few for a gay US politician, and a few for a department store recently purchased by Dubai.

Before, google.com would ask, 'Did you mean ...' and give you the option of clicking on what it thought you should have typed, but now it just decides what you should have typed and gives you that. Even if you did not make a typo, but just asked for something google.com doesn't know. And google.com does not know anything about 'scratching a barnet.'

I liked the old google.com much better.

Epilogue

I finally found out what a 'barnet' is on google.co.uk I think it means 'hair.'

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - you are right.

It's Cockney rhyming slang - coming from Barnet Fair ... Barnet Fair = Hair, and along the same lines you have "Apples & Pears" = stairs etc.

6:31 am  
Blogger Dubai@Random said...

2020: I'm afraid my knowledge of crsl is limited to Blackadder's:
'Oops, Mr Rothchild,
'ows yer apples and pears!'

9:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home