Monday, December 18, 2006

Northern Emirate Taxis

Some Emirates, such as Sharjah and Abu Dhabi, have recently revamped their taxis. Sharjah taxis were once meterless, and all fares subject to 'negotiation,' but the Emirate introduced metered taxis which have largely replaced the older meterless taxis.

Abu Dhabi taxis have had the same meters for 20 years, and the drivers have watched as their real earnings during the day steadily dropped. They had a way of trying to make ends meet: they don't use the meter late at night.

In the Northern Emirate where I'm now working, all the taxis seem to have meters, but don't use them. Or, on the rare occasions when they use the meter, some expect a surcharge.

I had heard the taxis were meterless, and the meters were covered up so I didn't see them. I tried to negotiate my first day here, but the driver uncovered his meter and used it. About €1.25 for the fare. The next day I got in, sat down, and gave my destination. The driver didn't use the meter, and demanded €3.50 for the same ride when we arrived. Since I hadn't asked, I gave him the money with a snarl of 'Thief.'

Another taxi used the meter, but demanded a 20% surcharge. Which I refused to pay. (The taxi driver's screaming caused the person I was meeting to give him the 20% to shut him up.)

If I negotiate in advance, the price is about €2 if it's sunny, or €3 if it's raining, but a few drivers (one, in fact) use the meter, or ask €1 for the ride.

But mostly it's €3-€3.50 if you don't ask, or €2 if you demand a price in advance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home