Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Lost in Translation

About three weeks ago, a friend said (as best he could) that
he had something I absolutely had to read, only it was in Arabic. His English is very limited, my Arabic is non-existent, and I was desperate to know what he was so excited about.


He had a copy saved on disk, so I thought I could use a
computer translation program to get the gist of whatever it was he wanted me to read.

I Googled the Arabic-English translation programs, and then clicked on all the ones that said they were free. I copied his text and pasted it into the boxes labeled 'Arabic text.' Then I clicked 'Translate.'

But when I clicked, ‘Translate,’ I always got:





We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates.



He said that he thought that was probably a very good policy
on the part of the TRA to prevent the many English-speaking terrorists in the UAE from using materials found on the Arabic-language sites, but he was sorry that I couldn’t read the letter, and I am sorry that, since I couldn't read it, I can’t tell anyone what it said.