Monday, October 23, 2006

Eid Mubarak!!!

When I was in Al Ain five years ago, as I wandered around the night before Eid Al Fitr, I could hear lambs inside almost every villa. Early in the morning, I saw the men of these households leading their lambs out. By noon, there was the silence of the lambs.

The next Eid Al Fitr, I was in Abu Dhabi. Downtown Abu Dhabi has towers of flats rather than villas. The night before Eid, I saw goats tethered to a small tree just outside my apartment building. And, as before, by noon of Eid, all the goats were gone.

(This is something I haven’t seen in Dubai, which prohibits families from sacrificing their own goats.)

The tradition is that families who can afford to do so buy a lamb. They take what they need for themselves, but give most of the meat to the poor. Sacrificing a lamb isn't required for Eid Al Fitr; however, giving food to the poor is required, and this was how I saw it done in Al Ain and Abu Dhabi.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nabeel said...

Eid Mubarak to you too

7:07 pm  
Blogger nzm said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:03 pm  
Blogger nzm said...

silence of the goats doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? :-)

Eid Mubarak DAR!

12:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eid Mubarak to you too.

No Eid adventures with Farouk or Faysal? ;-)

11:56 pm  
Blogger Lou said...

I've seen plenty of the same in Dubai. In fact, streets (or sandtracks as it used to be) would often be swimming in blood. Harsh, especially when I was only young. Thankfully times have changed and it's not so in your face anymore.

12:16 am  
Blogger Legal Translation Company in Dubai said...

Morocco Maritime Laws
Iraq Maritime Laws
Jordan Maritime Laws
Sudan Maritime Laws
Tunisia Maritime Laws

6:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home