Sunday, July 02, 2006

A Visit From Faysel (1)

Faysel called to say he was in Dubai, in Karama, and he'd like to meet me in 5 minutes. Normally, when he says '5 minutes' he is stuck in downtown Sharjah, which is about an hour and a half away, so I didn't exactly rush. But this time he called in 5 minutes to ask me where I was. So I straggled over to the Equator, where he was downing double whiskeys about as fast as the bartender could pour them. I've never noticed Faysel slurring his speech or having any trouble walking. How he does it escapes me.

Shortly after I arrived, a gentleman named Shajar joined us. Shajar told us he sells plastic (I was reminded of the movie, 'The Graduate'). Shajar only speaks Urdu, so I had to rely on Faysel to tell me what they'd been saying. Their first conversation was that there's a good profit to be made selling thin plastic as thick plastic (the thick sells for a lot more, but the thin is much cheaper to make).

Shajar then explained to Faysel that his government subsidizes exports, so he can sell below cost, and, in his country, the worker earn less than €1 per day, so the price is quite cheap. In addition, his country has signed a Free Trade agreement with the United States, so there will be no import duties or restrictions of any kind.

Faysel is sure he can import the plastic (used for garbage bags, some construction work, the bags laundries deliver clothes in, etc.), and can get a profit of 20¢ for each box of plastic. Shajar is ready to take Faysel's order and money.

Faysel was hungry, and asked for a menu. Shajar said he'd already eaten. Faysel ordered a sandwich, and I ordered soup. My soup came first, and I was waiting for Faysel's sandwich to arrive when Shajar flicked his cigarette into my soup. Apparently, he doesn't like people who look like me. Not that I can really blame him, it's just that I was hungry, but not that hungry.

Around midnight, I decided to leave. Today I checked on the Internet, and the US (so far) has no Free Trade Agreement with Shajar's country. After restrictions and tarriffs, I strongly suspect there is no way Faysel could make any money importing Shajar's plastics. But there's a good chance Faysel will soon have a large shipment of plastic arriving at a port in Dubai, and that he'll then try to figure out a way to get it into the US without paying the tarriff.

3 Comments:

Blogger nzm said...

Wow - I hope that if all Faysel's opportunities explode some day, that you're not caught in the shockwave and found "guilty by association".

Be careful!

But it sure makes for entertaining reading!

4:52 am  
Blogger Dubai@Random said...

NZM:

That makes two of us. As I wrote to CG, I feel the need to do research for this blog, which sends me to lunch and/or dinner with (mainly) Ron, Faysel, and Farook. But not without more than a little trepidation.

2:47 pm  
Blogger Legal Translation Company in Dubai said...

Umm Al Quwain, Resolution No. 10 of 2010
Umm Al Quwain, Resolution No. 8 of 2010
Umm Al Quwain, Resolution No. 7 of 2010
Algeria, Order (66- 156) 1966
Algeria, Constitution 1996

4:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home