Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Coincidental Dining

I wrote last April about friends from Al Ain who came to Dubai one Thursday and invited me to lunch. As were eating, my phone rang. 'Can you come to my birthday party?' 'I thought you'd decided not to have a party, to spend the evening alone with your boyfriend.' 'My boss said I'm having a party, so I'm having a party. Will you please come. Please show up between 7 and 8.' 'OK, I'll be there.'

Shortly after lunch, my phone rang again. It was another victim of Farook: after I'd declined to buy a school he was selling, he'd tried to convince me to buy it with a lady named Ann, and Ann chose that day to call: 'Hello, would you like to get together tonight? I've got a friend I really want you to meet.' 'I'd really like to, but I've been invited to a birthday at 8.' 'How about if we meet at 7?' 'OK.'

So, after a large, heavy lunch, I waddled home, then had to meet Ann and her friend at 7. At 7:15 my phone rang, 'Where are you?' 'I thought you said 8.' 'We started at 7.' 'I'll be there shortly.'

I would have quite enjoyed any of the three events, but having all in one day was a bit much. And I have no idea why all three happened on the same day. Obviously, the birthday was on the birthday, but why my friends from Al Ain and Ann all chose that day as the only day they could come see me, I do not know.

Today, at least, I understand the co-incidence: everyone is getting ready to leave for the summer, and all are trying to schedule goodbye meals.

One friend, leaving for the summer, invited me to lunch. We went to the buffet at Biggles in the Millenium hotel, where I stuffed myself, planning to skip supper.

But then, at 10:00 p.m., two more friends called to say they're leaving early next week (and will spend the weekend packing) and wanted to get together to say goodbye, so I found myself at another all-you-can-eat buffet at Barbeque Delights. I was still stuffed from lunch, but I wanted to wish them both a safe trip and a good summer, and the custom here is that good wishes must go with good food. So I stuffed myself again, and was barely able to waddle home.

I should be glad that a third friend hadn't invited me to a buffet breakfast, or I would have ended up like the fat man in Monty Python's 'The Meaning of Life.'

1 Comments:

Blogger CG said...

Haha....dubai@random was rolling down the road again.

That sounds hilarious, and I could do with a double buffet after all of my denstist-induced starvation plan. The only good news about it all is that I will be flying in my best trousers after having dropped a dress size.

8:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home