Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Eid al Adha Mubarak

It's a bit late (I think the Islamic date changes at sunset) but I'd like to wish everyone Eid Saeid and Eid Mubarak.

Eid Saeid means 'Happy Eid.'

My dictionary translates 'eid al adha' as 'Greater Bairam.' Sadly, my English is not as complete as I'd like, since I've never heard the English word 'Bairam', but that's the official translation according to my Arabic-English dictionary, and I'm not going to question them today.

'Mubarak' means something like, 'Blessing upon you,' so 'Eid al Adha Mubarak' means, roughly, 'May the Greater Bairam blessing be upon you.'




Eid al Adha represents the highlight of the hajj, and commemorates the day when the Prophet Ibrahim (or Abraham) took his son out to sacrifice his son, but instead sacrificed a ram.

So, in much of the Islamic world fathers take rams and sons out for the morning sacrifice.

In Dubai, the law prohibits this, and fathers and sons go to the municipal abattoir where a municipal employee sacrifices the sheep or goat in the name of the father.

So this morning, Farook took his son to the abattoir, then brought me a share of the goat, and I spent the rest of Eid al Adha cooking my share, finishing just before midnight.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ofernicus said...

Eid Saeid wa Eid Mubarak!

I googled my way here while looking for a "proper" blessing for Eid al-Adha, so thanks for answering my question, and more importantly - thanks for the explanation about the meaning of this Eid!

7:24 pm  
Anonymous cheapest hotels in hong kong said...

Thanks for sharing the article. I was really wondering and i get here and get amazed by the article. Hope that we will get more ahead.

9:30 pm  
Anonymous texas home refinance said...

I was just wondering and i got here, I really gt amazed by the blog. Very informaive and very helpfull thanks for providing the post. Hope that we will get more in future.

10:54 am  
Anonymous San Antonio Mortgage said...

Really a very nice article shared...I got to learn many things...

4:21 pm  
Anonymous cheapest hotels in Singapore said...

Hi, nice post. I have been wondering about this topic, so thanks for sharing. I will certainly be subscribing to your blog.

4:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home