Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Recycling

Aluminium is made from bauxite and electricity. A great deal of electricity. I once read (in an unreliable green publication) that to generate the electricity required to make the aluminium in a typical soda can requires enough fossil fuel to fill the can about half full.

So I was pleased to see that Dubai has added some recycling bins near my flat.

The three new cubical recycling bins are next to one of the old cylindrical trash bins that have been available to keep Dubai clean since my first arrival.

One of the new bins is for aluminium cans, one is for paper, and the third is for general trash, the same as the old cylindrical bin, which remains available for use.

So I gathered up all my aluminium cans and old copies of the Gulf News and dragged them down to the recycle bins.

All three of which were, of course, already full of general trash, including such items as fast-food bags containing the remnants of partly-consumed meals. Still, I suppose such meals are wrapped in paper and aluminium foil, thereby justifying their placement in the recycle bins.

I added my aluminium cans to the almost full bin for aluminium, and my old newspapers to the almost full bin for paper, filling both almost to overflowing.

I am glad that Dubai is trying to approach recycling.

Even if it hasn't quite gotten there yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dubai Photo Story said...

I think the more important point is HOW is this segregated waste treated after you have dumped it in the respective bin!

I plan to watch one of these bins and see what happens to each of the type of waste.

Check out my new blog on eco issues in Dubai

http://greenindubai.blogspot.com

9:10 pm  
Blogger R. Ramesh said...

recycling..ya..in the right direction..but when are v going to reach the destination..

6:41 pm  
Anonymous Screen Doors Peoria said...

Interesting read thanks for sharing

10:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home