Saturday, April 05, 2008

Lifts in Dubai (2): Express Lifts

A shopping mall has an 'express' lift, one that currently goes from the ground floor to the fourth floor without stopping. This is clearly explained in Arabic and English.

I was on the fourth floor, and saw only two people waiting to use the express lift, so I decided it would be easier than using the stairs.

The lift, when it arrived, was full, but only two people got off. Eventually (after some shouting in a language I did not understand), about half the passengers got off, and I got on.

The remaining passengers frantically pressed the buttons for floors 1 to 3. None of which worked. I tried to explain to them that the lift was an express lift that only stopped on the ground floor and the fourth floor, but the passengers do not read Arabic or English, and I know they do not understand spoken English (and I doubt they understand spoken Arabic, but I have no way of testing that hypothesis).

The lift proceeded to the ground floor, and I got off, while the remaining passengers pressed the buttons for 1 to 3 again, hoping they would work this time.

3 Comments:

Blogger nzm said...

Lost in elevator translation.

6:41 am  
Blogger Susan said...

lol...I used to work beside Lamcy Plaza, and they had a setup like this for the supermarket.

8:16 pm  
Blogger Harsha said...

I believe it IS lamcy Plaza

1:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home