Sunday, January 27, 2008

Improved Dubai Bus Service???

According to a local newspaper, the RTA added more than 100 buses, but only saw a 3% increase in passengers.

As a confirmed bus rider (no car, no money for Dubai taxis), I was at a bus station Saturday. I checked the schedules, and indeed there are far more buses. Where the RTA once scheduled 4 buses per hour on my route, there are now 8 buses scheduled to run every hour on the route that should have taken me to my destination.

I saw a bus in the bay, and ran toward it, waving frantically. It departed without me. This should not have been a problem, since the next bus was scheduled to leave in just 10 minutes.

For those who do not ride buses, the bus stations have bays for each route. I was, naturally, standing on the platform beside the bay for the buses for my route.

An hour later, a bus for my route pulled into another bay, a bay for buses going in the opposite direction. I might not have noticed, except that the crowd waiting for my bus all moved to the next platform, and I followed. The driver took his mandatory 20 min break, and the bus took off.

When I arrived at my stop and got off, another (empty) bus pulled in behind us, and, as I was walking from the bus stop to my final destination, I saw one more empty bus drive by.

There may be more buses now, but not a significantly improved bus service.

I, at least, would greatly appreciate a bus service that conformed to the RTA schedule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home