Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Lapsang Souchong

Back when I was a teenager, I was stuck on a boat filled with pairs of animals for forty days, and passed the time reading. The dashing, sophisticated protagonist in one story enjoyed an afternoon tea of lapsang souchong and watercress sandwiches, and I was determined to try some in hopes that some dash and sophistication might accrue. I asked in the galley, and was told to drink Lipton's tea and like it.

Many years later, I wandered into a small, exotic café one afternoon and found that they offered an afternoon tea with watercress sandwiches, and with a choice of teas that included lapsang souchong. The watercress I will, in future, leave floating on the stagnant ponds where it belongs, but I liked the lapsang souchong.

About five years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find a tea shop in Deira City Centre that sold lapsang souchong, but after a year or so, the shop closed. I was again pleasantly surprised to find lapsang souchong available at a Choitram's in Bur Dubai, at a reasonable price (about €4) until a few months ago, when they discontinued it.

Lately, I found a new purveyor of lapsang souchong, located in Bur Juman, but they want €14 for about half as much tea as Choitram's formerly sold for €4.

I may have to switch to an alternative beverage to consume daily at 4 p.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home