Sunday, September 23, 2007

Iftar (1)

My first Ramadan, the organization where I worked suggested that everyone go to an iftar, where a prominent Muslim scholar would explain about Ramdan and iftar. The iftar was optional, since we had to pay for our own food, but I was very interested in learning more about Islam, so I paid my US$5.50 and went. The iftar was catered by a Western hotel, which had erected a large tent on the grounds just for Ramadan. Had there been no scheduled presentation, the hotel only charged US$5.00 for the iftar, but we all paid the extra 50¢ to cover the honorarium and meal of our speaker.

We were told to arrive before sunset, which I found strange. In the West, if there is to be absolutely no eating before a certain time, everyone arrives after that time. But I arrived about 15 minutes before sunset, and sat down. Then I noticed that everyone was queued at the buffet, and those already seated had several plates piled high with food sitting in front of them. I asked and was told that I should get in the queue, that it was very important to start eating precisely at sundown, and it would be a violation of the customs to be standing in the queue with an empty plate, or even to be walking back towards one's place. So I got in the queue.

Most iftar buffets have traditional salads--tabbouleh, fatoush, mutabel, and hummus; entrees of meat, chicken, and fish, a roasted goat, vegetables, and desserts which must include baklava and Umm Ali. I loaded two plates, placed them in front of an empty seat, and went back for two more. I managed to sit down just as the canon went off indicating that it was officially sunset.

I was very thirsty, and began by taking a large drink, then started on my soup, only to discover that I had eaten the wrong thing first. One is always expected to begin with three dates. But I didn't know that then.

As we began eating, one of the senior managers from my organization got up. I assumed he was going to introduce the Islamic scholar who would give the presentation. I was wrong. He announced, 'Our guest for tonight called to tell me that Ramadan is about family, so he will be having iftar at home with his family throughout the month of Ramadan, and cannot be here tonight.'

1 Comments:

Blogger Harsha said...

isnt this an old post?

10:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home