Thursday, October 05, 2006

Selling Schools in Sharjah

A couple of years ago, Farook called and said he was waiting for me outside my flat. I went down, and he drove me to a school in Sharjah.

‘This school only £3,000,000. You buy, you make lots of money. School very good business. My children and cousins teach Koran. You no need work.’

Farook is convinced that all Westerners, every time they sneeze, drop at least £1,000,000, so a mere £3,000,000 would be nothing to me. I must keep at least that much in each pocket.

I don’t, so I said I wasn’t interested.

Shortly thereafter, a UK lady entered into a partnership in Dubai, and her partner took all her money. She could no longer afford her villa, and had to move. She’d heard Farook was a good source of cheap flats, so she went to him. He saw a UK lady, and asked her if she’d like to buy a school. She, amazingly, said ‘Yes.’

Actually, she was hoping for a commission for selling it to some UK acquaintances.

‘I need all the blueprints and specifications,’ she said.

Farook said, ‘No need. Ask my friend, he tell you this very good school. You give deposit, school yours.’

I could see she didn’t have a tosser, but she knew people who did, so I told Farook, ‘Give her the blueprints and plans.’

Farook was (according to a mutual friend) furious. Here I was, taking her side. The idea was for me to say, ‘This is very good school. You must buy. Give Farook deposit and school yours.’

Only I never say such things.

Had she been new to the UAE, believed that ex-pats could buy schools, and was flush with £100,000 or so, Farook would have taken her deposit. Then, when she found out that ex-pats cannot buy schools and complained, Farook would have said it was ‘all this Westerner’s fault.’

Farook’s plan was that she would have lost all her deposit, Farook would have split the proceeds with a cousin (or two) and a Citizen, I wouldn’t have gotten anything except for all the blame.

But I knew the lady didn’t have any money, and just wanted to convince some of her more affluent friends to buy the school, so I kept saying, ‘Give her the blueprints.’ And Farook kept getting more and more angry because I wasn’t helping him.

5 Comments:

Blogger secretdubai said...

Farook sounds like an actual arse, as well as dishonest. If he really intended to take her deposit, he's a thief.\

He might want to go and take some of those Qu'ran classes his family are offering ;)

3:22 am  
Blogger Harsha said...

lol @ SD

9:39 am  
Blogger Dubai@Random said...

Secret Dubai and Harsha:

I've known Farook for some time. I've seen him help some desperate people; and I've seen him try to swindle other desperate people (but never very successfully).

But a visit with Farook always results in an interesting story, and doesn't have the risks associated with my former visits to Faysel.

7:35 pm  
Blogger secretdubai said...

It's true the stories are always interesting!

4:13 am  
Blogger Legal Translation Company in Dubai said...

Oman Real Estate Laws
Mauritania Real Estate Laws
Morocco Real Estate Laws
Iraq Real Estate Laws
Jordan Real Estate Laws

6:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home