Thursday, July 13, 2006

Waiting for Md. Said

I was supposed to meet Fahad at his house at 6:00 p.m., and was about to get on the 4:00 p.m. bus to Sharjah when my phone rang. ‘Where are you?’ ‘I’m at the bus terminal.’ ‘Please, do not come to my house, I am at Farook’s office. We wait you now.’

I didn’t actually believe Fahad, but I figured I could wait at Farook’s office, so I went. Farook has a secretary, and I thought she’d let me in, but Farook has her work a split shift. When I arrived, the secretary wasn’t back, and the hall outside his office was about 40 degrees. So I went to see if I could have a cup of tea at an air-conditioned restaurant. ‘No tea. Go to shisha place.’ The standard price of tea at a non-Western restaurant is set at €0.15. At a shisha place, it’s €0.50. Plus, I had to sit in a thick cloud of shisha smoke. But it was better than sitting (or standing) in the 40-degree heat.

After a cup of tea, I returned to Farook’s office. As I was about to enter, my phone rang. ‘I need to talk to you. Can you come by for about 10 minutes?’ I had been hoping to meet the caller, but said I had another meeting. ‘I’ll be here until 8:00 p.m.’ ‘OK,’ I replied, ‘I’ll drop by before 8.’

When I got back to Farook’s office, Farook, Fahad, and Farook’s secretary had returned. The secretary set the table. Farook asked me, ‘Have you had lunch?’ ‘Yes, but it’s 5:00 p.m. now. In English, we call this supper.’ ‘Md. Said will be here in a few minutes. We wait him.’ Fahad gave a courier €50 and sent him off to get the food.

Normally, Fahad gets up around this time, but Farook had convinced him to pursue another project beginning around 11:00 a.m., so Fahad fell asleep. Farook kept calling people and talking in Arabic, trying to set up some deals. By 7:00 p.m., I’d about decided that Md. Said must be related to Godot, but then the doorbell rang.

It was a security guard reporting that there was a problem with Fahad’s car. Fahad went out to see about his car, and I said, ‘I have to see someone, I’ll be back in 20 minutes.’

At 7:25, I returned. Md. Said was just about to leave. The table had been cleared, and the dishes and coffee cups were washed, dried, and put away.

Normally, a meal with Farook starts out with crudités, then soup, then a main course, followed by coffee. The entire affair never takes less than an hour and a half. However, Md. Said is very busy, so today, when he arrived at 7:10, the meal and meeting had been concluded within 10 minutes, and the party was in the process of saying goodbye. I just had time to meet Md. Said, say ‘Marhaba,’ and ‘Massalama,’ and the meeting was concluded.

Farook and Fahad said they were going to Sharjah, and I was invited to join them. They promised to return very early, which I know means sometime around 6:00 a.m, so I declined their offer and took the 41 bus home.

4 Comments:

Blogger nzm said...

How come all your acquaintances' names begin with F?

Do you sometimes get them confused?

:-)

4:47 pm  
Blogger Dubai@Random said...

NZM: 2. Frequently. 1. It seems to be coincidence. I used to see a lot of Ron, but I haven't seen or heard from him since I said I couldn't hand over €40,000, no questions asked.

The F's, though, keep inviting me over.

Even though I told Farook I couldn't hand over €6,000,000, (he thinks every Westerner, without exception, keeps at least €6,000,000 in petty cash) he keeps calling, as do Fahad and Faysel.

1:50 pm  
Blogger nzm said...

I think that it's a common misconception among Middle Eastern people that all westerners are rich - just as I grew up thinking that everyone who wore a kandura must be an oil-rich sheikh!

9:58 pm  
Blogger Legal Translation Company in Dubai said...

Ras Al Khaimah, Resolution No. (26) of 2017
Ras Al Khaimah, Resolution No. (25) of 2017
Ras Al Khaimah, Resolution No. (24) of 2017
Ras Al Khaimah, Resolution No. (23) of 2017
Ras Al Khaimah, Resolution No. (22) of 2017
Sharjah, Emiri Decree No. (9) of 2021
Sharjah, University of Sharjah President Resolution No. (11) of 2019

4:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home